What are you trying to find???

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pinterest Challenge: Project #2

Soooo... remember how yesterday I told you our computer crashed and I lost a ton of project pictures I was planning to share with you that had not been backed up anywhere else?
Yeah...
So today we are going to use our imagination. Here's how it's gonna work: I'm gonna show you some pictures and recipes and you are going to use your imagination to superimpose my image and the the images of my friends and family enjoying the items in the pictures. Are you ready? Here we go!

My next Pinterest Challenge project was to try out some recipes I have found on pinterest. But first... you need a little background. At our house every Friday night is pizza night. Whether we order pizza, make a frozen pizza, or I make pizza... we have some kind of pizza every Friday. I have tried all kinda of variations on pizza--stromboli, calzone, pizza pull-aparts, french bread pizza-- and while the hubs doesn't mind any of those options, his fav is just straight up simple pepperoni pizza. And he likes it best when I make it. Which... i did more before I was all knocked up and whatnot (yes, the Pizza Hut delivery guy knew us by name because of that first trimester) but I'm doing better now, so I think it's time to step it up a notch. I always made my pizza crust from a mix, and while those things aren't awful... I kept wondering, how hard can it be to make pizza dough from scratch.


Especially after pinning this recipe on pinterest, I knew I had no excuse. So last Friday night, I tried it out.
OMG! So easy! And so yummy! It has really lovely flavor, (which I attribute to the honey, as I am obsessed with all things honey related) and was a perfect chewy/crispy consistency. Z loved it too. Why was I wasting my time with those stupid packets of powder?
(Here's where you get to imagine a picture of me serving a beautifully handmade cheesy bread pizza that's perfectly bubbly and golden browned while my husband looks on with awe and admiration and my hair looks great and my pregnant belly is not poking out the bottom of my too-small PJ's. Got all that? Great!)
A couple thoughts on this recipe:
    *There is a bonus cheesy bread recipe as well! Score.
    *I used my stand mixer. I am sure you could do it by hand too? But I hate kneading dough by hand, and it is sooo easy in my mixer, I wondered why I had never done it before.
    *This recipe makes enough for two crusts... and I only needed one Friday night, but would be making pizza for friends the next day, so I experimented: after it had risen, I cut the dough in half, wrapped half in plastic wrap and left it in the fridge overnight. The next day, about 1.5 hours before company was to arrive I pulled it from the fridge and stuck it in an oiled bowl next to the warmish oven. It rose beautifully and was just as good (maybe even a smidge easier to work with) on day two. That's good news!
    *I am considering trying it with whole wheat flour next time... I didn't want to stray from the original recipe the first time, but whole wheat crust is on the menu for next week. I'll let you know!

Okay, so try your hand at some homemade pizza dough. YUM.
And then when you have your crust all ready to be topped, do this to it:


I mentioned above that I made pizza for friends on Saturday. We were having a couple over that we really want to be best-couple-friends with. I really wanted to make something that was incredibly delicious, but easy because I was trying to be really cool and calm even though I was nervous about cooking for them. (I know, we are major nerds... we just really wanted them to like us!)
I figured... steak + pizza = How could this go wrong???
This pizza delivered. It was amazing. The Pioneer Woman has never led me astray. Layers of flavor and richness. Delicious and meaty. It received great reviews all around... and I told everyone I knew the next day about how it changed my life for good.
(I kinda want to sing a Wicked song now.)

So to sum up this post:
1) Imagine glamorous Valerie in each of these pictures
2) Make your own pizza crust
3) Top it with steak for the love of all things good in life
Amen.

(Oh, and just in case you missed it, here's the Pinterest Challenge, and Project #1. It's not to late to join if you want! You have until the end of the month to do something... so lets see it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment