What are you trying to find???

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Little Boy Bow Tie

I don't have kids. I might some day. When I do, there are two things I desire more than anything else in my children. One I have little control over one (please please PLEASE Lord, I really want red-heads!) and the other I have quite a bit of control over (at least for the first couple years of their lives...) and this one is a desire for my children to be handsome and well-dressed. I'm thinking nothing but bow ties and sweater vests. Oh, and suspenders. And blazers with little patches on the elbows. But most definitely bow ties. Every day. They can wear jimjams to sleep in-- but if not sleeping-- bow ties. I'm serious.
I love little tiny boys dressed as little tiny men. LOVE it. There are so many ridiculously cute ways to wear a bow tie-- we just need more of them in our lives, my friends! I'm bringing it back, hardcore!
Anyway. My fav little boy, Dawson, turned two, and had a shocking lack of bow ties in his wardrobe. That had to be remedied.
So here's what we did to fix that:

I started with a scrap of fabric... I really loved these multi-colored stripes, but I wanted the stripes on the Bias, which of course uses up a larger portion of fabric. I had to do some piecing together to make it work, but I was able to hide all seams. (You can see I am using the quilter's square my Granny gave me-- that thing is invaluable, even when i am not quilting! Thanks Granny!)

 I cut two strips 15 inches by 3.5 inches. Pin right sides together and sew all four sides with a straight stitch. Leave a two inch opening on one of the long sides to turn it.


Clip corners and turn right side out. Iron... and hand stitch that 2" opening closed.


You know have a long skinny rectangle, fold it in thirds accordion style, as shown below. Cut a strip of fabric 5 inches by 2 inches. Fold right sides together lengthwise, and sew along the long side of that... and iron flat. Then fold in half again and sew a seam 1 inch from the fold (pictured below-- sorry for limited picturage of these last few steps, I wasn't thinking...?) I trimmed off the excess... then turned that inside out again.

 Now fold up the (already folded) bowtie and feed it through the small loop you just made...
 VIOLA! Okay, I added a strap to it... you can add a strap that secures with Velcro, slides, or a bow tie clip. We'll discuss these options at a later date. (the one pictured has a strap that secures with Velcro-- just in case you cared)

Cute, no? It looked super cute on my friend Dawson. I think there will be more bow ties in our future... Yes?

(Hey... it's a BOY project. Have you guys seen Celebrate the Boy on MADE? It's an inspiring an much-needed series of all handmade 'boy stuff'. Check it out! )

CHECK OUT Little Boy Bow Ties: Part 2 for a tutorial on an adjustable strap!

6 comments:

  1. These are fabulous! Now I just need a little boy to make this for!

    Wanted to let you know that I am linking to your project on Polly Want A Crafter on 3/11! Hope you get some new visitors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I have 3 boys and 1 girl and I think bowties would be super cute on the boys!

    http://lanis-hammertime.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea!! Bowties would be so cute on my boys! Ooooo, even my dog! :)

    http://lanis-hammertime.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I have to make one for my little guy. Thanks so much for the tutorial! I am following you now :)

    Check out my blog if you get a chance

    Krazycraftylady.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. I was just looking at that fabric at Hobby Lobby the other day trying to think of a project to use it for. I love the tie so my son might be getting one to wear for Easter.
    www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an outstanding order for 2 bow ties and a matching headband for the holidays this year, and I happened across your tutorial, and plan on using it, but tweaking it just a tad. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete